Saturday 1 September 2012

Day 21 - 24 Bounce back


Day 21 Parque Nacional HuascarĂ¡n

A non riding day whilst still recovering from the chest infection and asthma. We were climbing up to 4200m above sea level, although the dry air seemed to be doing me good despite being thinner.

Our lunch stop before entering the road to the national park had great scenery of snow capped mountains in various directions. We stopped in front of a family's house. They had a lamb dressed up with a hat, and the young girl holding the lamb was a hit with us riders. At first she was unsure and shy, but after a few photos, something small to nibble on and a little change, she warmed up and became equally curious about us.




On arrival to our camp for the night, I was quick to take a spot on top of a nearby hill for my tent.

What a beautiful spot. The sunset put on quite a show. It felt like a real privilege to be able to stay there. Overnight, it was mentioned it reached as low as -5C. Everyone seemed well prepared for it however.



I woke part way through the night. The moon was bright, the sky was clear. It was nice to open the tent and just stare across the mountains and listen to music until drowsy again.

Day 22 Huallanca. Ambitious return


On paper it seems a relatively short and easy day. 71km with 982m of climbing. In reality, everyone found it tough as crossed the highest point for the trip of roughly 4800m or 15 748 feet.

At this altitude even walking became difficult. One of the stronger riders, Kees from the Netherlands found himself in the truck from lunch onwards with altitude sickness.



So of course this is my first day back on the bike after being unwell. From lunch onwards to the peak. I won't lie, I rode perhaps 40% of the climb, and walked the rest. There were many others who walked the climb struggling for air. Add the cold wind, and the place whilst beautiful, felt hostile.

After finally reaching the peak, we had a long downhill. First still on unpaved road, then on sealed. This is where I happily passed everyone I encountered. With dual suspension on the dirt, I don't have to pick my way for smoother lines like most of the other riders. I also roll quickly on the downhills, and perhaps less cautious and leaning more into the corners so I made it to camp in good time.

Day 23 Tingo Chico. My kind of day


A short and sweet day. 49km, 428 metres of climbing and started with perhaps 20km of downhill.

During the downhill I rode with Ilkka for a good portion. The scenery was beautiful, and rode between steep narrow cuttings which was surreal.

Because of all the downhill, we were faster than the lunch truck and we passed the intended spot to stop. The spot had thermal springs with baths, which everyone was so kind to tell us how good it was to soak in hot water. Because Ilkka, Adrian (UK) and myself had missed lunch, we stopped at a small restaurant at the top of the climb. Then followed Richard and Kirsten in the 2nd truck carrying luggage and kitchen to the camp spot.

Day 24 Huanuco. Feeling better, fitness still has some way to go


110km and 1223 metres of climbing at the start. HUUUGE downhill for 55km to Huanuco dropping from a chilly 4000m above sea level to 2070m.

Left camp after a cold night full of anticipation and optimism.

Met up with a few of the other riders such as Kees, Harry and Fred a couple of times during the climb until my energy began to drop off. I'd climbed perhaps 400m and began to hit the wall. It got to the point where I was finding these nice soft sunny patches of grass to have a lemon sweet and water and enjoy the scenery, but no drive to keep moving. After 41km, and perhaps 10km from the top, the tank was empty.

I REALLY wanted to reach the downhill, so had to get to the top. I saw a passing tuk tuk (locally called cockroaches) with a flat tray on the back. I flagged him down and got him to agree to take me to the top. Was a nice experience to still be amongst open air and admiring the scenery, but not exerting to climb.

Towards the top, the road was blocked by a very enthusiastic party. Apparently a lot of the riders got caught up in the moment and found themselves dancing with the locals. Me being in the back of a flat tray, I got away with a few calls of "gringo!" and some taps on the arm, then we were through.

Near the top I saw the lunch truck driving back to check where I was, so I was madly waving my arms to get Didier and Yolande's attention.

After a brief lunch, I still had another 3km of climbing to go. Wow did I feel flat. Then at the top I had a great view of the mountain that they call "crown of the Incas", and onward to a wind catching grin as I began a 55km long descent.



Our directions sheet did say it was a dangerous descent. For most parts it was a single lane road, with a big drop off 1 side, and no guard rail. Blind corners, uneven and broken surface...all the good stuff. Had to keep the mind switched on all the time.

During the descent, the temperature noticeably got warmer, the wind settled and then trees began to appear.



A great afternoon. Need I remind you that this went on for 55km?! HUGE! A loss of almost 2000m of altitude!

My immediate challenge for now is energy management. Have received some suggestions, shall see how it works out. One way or another in the next month I want to be able to at least keep up and ride with the main pack.

2 comments:

  1. So love the sweet smile on the little girl with the lamb! What a sight together! And those awesome, snowy peaks! They seem to crown the landscape with extra beauty! Life seems so calm and gentle as per the last photo! I imagine it was quite a contrast after the pace of your riding descent! Another wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. click here

    ReplyDelete